Re. shut down vs. shutdown

Subject: Re. shut down vs. shutdown
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 13:59:49 PDT

> I prefer "shutdown" (one word).

> Rich

Rich says he prefers shutdown, but
this would be the noun or adjective form, as
in "The shutdown procedure is described...."

Other examples would be words like:

Checkout: The checkout counter was busy.
Check out: Be sure to check out of your hotel by noon.

Layout: The page layout will be finished tomorrow.
Lay out: Lay out pages 22 through 24 as soon as you can.

I know we all have personal preferences, pet peeves, and
the like, but this doesn't fall into that personal
opinion category.

Linda

Well said, Linda, although I've never seen anyone abandon improper
usage when faced with the facts yet.

I would prefer "Shut Windows down and . . ." if you had to use that
terminology, but it would be most helpful in this situation to say
"Exit from Windows and . . ." since there's an actual Exit button.

Arthur Comings

GeoQuest
Corte Madera, California
atc -at- corte-madera -dot- geoquest -dot- slb -dot- com