Re: Shut down Windows (for Donna Ellis)

Subject: Re: Shut down Windows (for Donna Ellis)
From: "Lori A. Moreland" <lamorela -at- CS -dot- HH -dot- AB -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 1994 12:39:22 -0400

Donna,
My first thought is "why not `close' or `exit' Windows?" (more intuitive). But
you asked about shut down.
Shutdown (like many other words, such as setup, startup, etc.) is a compound
word. Compound words can be nouns or verbs, depending on their usage in a
sentence.
Examples: To perform system *shutdown*, follow these steps (noun).
To *shut down* the system, follow these steps. (verb)
In the first case, the compound word *shutdown* is a noun. It should be written
as one word. In the second sentence, the compound words *shut down* are verbs.
When a compund word is used as a verb, write it as two words. It doesn't much
matter whether you say "Shut XXX down", or "Shut down XXX"-- as long as you
keep it to two words when it's a verb. When in doubt, consult a grammar book or
dictionary.
Lori "I love grammar" Moreland
Senior Technical Communicator, Allen-Bradley Co., Inc.
President, NE Ohio STC

My source: Harbrace College handbook (published by Harcourt Brace Jovanovich)