Re: Abstracts...

Subject: Re: Abstracts...
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 11:12:19 EDT

Marilynne has a good point:

If they don't give you enough information, what can you do with it?
Change the font?

*************************

However, the problem is that many abstracts for conference proceedings and
such are submitted before the papers are actually written. This happened to
me recently (i.e., I had to write the abstract before I wrote the paper).

Perhaps you should find out when you are expected to edit the abstracts, and
insist that your editing take place at least after early drafts are available.

The situation seems to me to be a prime opportunity for "editing that corrects
the writing but makes the meaning wrong", through no fault of your own. BTW, is
there a term/phrase for this in common usage? If not, I'd sure like one to be
invented. Any takers?

Take care, and may your dog go with you,

Gwen