Re: English - it's a funny language

Subject: Re: English - it's a funny language
From: "DSNACQ::HARRISON"@TULSA.DOWELL.SLB.COM
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 10:16:30 -0500

Mindy Kale's entertaining essay on the paradoxes of the English
language reminded me of this little rhyme I had put away in my
"interesting things to read on a slow day" folder. I don't remember
where I got it, but it's so old the paper is yellow. It's by Morris
A. Nunes.

QUIRKS

Why, if there's a who and whom,
Must I ask for you, not youm?

Night by night I've turned and tossed:
How come lose goes not to lossed?

We say "give," in past, "we gave."
We say "live," but can't say "lave."

The jokes the thing that makes a jokester,
but yolks of hen make her no yolkster.

I grow and grow, and say "I grew."
I glow and glow, but never "glew."

On the subject of swim and swam,
If there's a skim, how come no skam?

I do sit and I had sat.
My clothes now fit, but had not fat.

Who made up these made requirements,
Causing me to make inquirements?

Why, when checking dictionary,
Are words I want so fictionary?

Barbi Harrison
The Wordmaster, Inc.
harrison -at- dsnvx1 -dot- sinet -dot- slb -dot- com