Abbr. for kilobyte?

Subject: Abbr. for kilobyte?
From: Keith Ivey <kcivey -at- CPCUG -dot- DIGEX -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 03:52:53 GMT

Does anyone know of any definitive rulings on whether "kilobyte" should
be abbreviated as "KB", "Kb", "kB", or "kb"? I think I have seen all
four. Some people say that "B" should be used for "byte" and "b" for
"bit". The SI system, of course, uses "k" for 1,000, so there is an
argument that "K" should be used for 1,024--but this leaves open the
question of how to distinguish between "M" meaning 1,000,000 and "M"
meaning 1,048,576. If you follow up, please cite your sources. (Yes, I
realize I didn't, but that's because I can't remember them. These are
just vague rememberings.)

--Keith Ivey <kcivey -at- cpcug -dot- org>
Washington, DC