Flame me, I'm Italian

Subject: Flame me, I'm Italian
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 09:10:00 -0700

Glen wrote:
glen accardo
I write lots of manuals for techno-dweebs. Consequently much of what I write
involves "instructions" such as:

- A requires module B in C mode.
- D provides the input for E.
- etc.
-= stuff deleted =-

-----------
glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707
Houston, TX 77084

Glen, I write similar types of procedures for field
engineers. They are required to perform operations using the
procedures in a "verbatim compliance" manner -- there is no
allowance for interpretation in the field. If an instruction
step cannot be performed as written, then the operation must
be halted. In order to write in this style, you really need
to put a lot into word choice and structure of the
instructions. You'd be surprised at some of the
misunderstandings that have been caught in the review process
with the most straight forward looking phrases. I find that
usually, less is better. I try to start with the simplest
construction that makes sense to *me*, then I'll add only as
much detail as needed to remove any ambiguity. Sometimes,
though, its easier to do the reverse and start with a block
of description and keep paring at it until all the "fat" is
gone.

Rich
rxs459 -at- fep1 -dot- rl -dot- gov