Re: Caryn's right!

Subject: Re: Caryn's right!
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 10:37:18 -0700

On Fri, 15 Jul 1994, Vollbach, Elizabeth wrote:
> Yes, Caryn, it certainly would be ideal if we all tried to adhere to
> the same writing standards. The reason technical writers and editors
> exist is simply because they can relay information so it is readable
> and usable. And how much more readable and usable would that
> information be if only writing standards were more standardized and
> less whatever-you-want-ish! That's exactly my point in my "Ms.
> Thistlebottom" column in our STC newsletter. And that's why I call
> her "Ms." rather than Berstein's "Miss." Beth

Universal Standards, yes, but only in America. For example, "Ms." isn't
standard. One of our secretaries thinks that it is the abbreviation for
Miss and refuses to use it.

Furthermore, Ms. is only in America. Germans or Danes wouldn't know what
it means. How about the Brits on this list here? What does Ms. mean to you?

- andreas