What dictionaries do

Subject: What dictionaries do
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 09:27:23 PDT

> Dictionaries only *report* usage. They do not *legislate*
> it.

> Richard Frampton
> San Rafael, California
> framptonr%river -dot- decnet -at- canada -dot- ca -dot- cch -dot- com
> (415) 472-3100 x3413

Righard:

As I understand it, the prescriptive/descriptive debate is ongoing
among the creators of dictionaries. It's impossible to accurately say
what *all* dictionaries do; this decision a tough call for them, and
what they do depends on who's in charge and what guidelines they're
following.

Cheers from just north of you --

Arthur Comings

GeoQuest
Corte Madera, California
atc -at- corte-madera -dot- geoquest -dot- slb -dot- com