Spelling Checkers.

Subject: Spelling Checkers.
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 08:43:43 CDT

I don't want to pick on any one of you, but all of you who reported
that your spelling checker told you about the spelling of certain
words are missing a very important point. You should never rely on
the accuracy of your spelling checker. In our office, we keep a
file of some of the funnier stuff that various spelling checkers
have reported as errors.

My favorite is the fact that there seems to be some sort of algorithm
error in a lot of spelling checkers that will always flag a certain
correctly spelled word as misspelled, and suggest that you replace it
with itself. In addition, ours suggested replacing paralegal with
paraplegic, recursive with repulsive, and a fairly innocent misspelling
of marketing with man-eating!

Point is, the spell checker is a helpful tool, but should never be
relied on as an authority on spelling.

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "She understood, as he did, that all writing
was infernally boring and futile, but that it had to be done out of respect
for tradition" --Stanislaw Lem