Re[2]: Word 6.0a (sort of)

Subject: Re[2]: Word 6.0a (sort of)
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 08:23:02 CDT

Jay R. Cook said:

>Word has a "Fast Save" feature. When activated, I believe it saves
>only the edit history at the end of the file. This is faster (hence
>the name Fast Save) than a full save since the editing changes aren't
>integrated in their appropriate place in the file. "Full Save" (or
>whatever it's called) eliminates this; it takes slightly longer to save
>the file since all editing changes are actually incorporated in the
>file, not stored in the edit history at the end of the file.

>I think you can turn off Fast Save but I don't remember how.

To turn FAST SAVE off, go to Tools, then Options, then
click on the SAVE tab. Uncheck the Fast Save box, and
click OK.

I would strongly recommend that everyone do this. The
difference between a full and fast save is
insignificant in terms of time, but very important if
anything should go wrong with your file. We've had
people here (at the Help Desk) who have lost part or
all of their thesis or dissertation because of using
Fast Save and being a little unlucky. Microsoft tech
support recommends against Fast Saves, at least for
Word 2.0x.

BTW, Pagemaker is the same about fast saves, and
equally dangerous.

Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu