Standards for Documentation Terminology

Subject: Standards for Documentation Terminology
From: Phil Hellerman <shared!shared!philh -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 11:24:53 -0500

I am interested in knowing if anyone uses a published standard as a guide
for establishing departmental terminology standards. Specifically, I am
interested in any publications that recommend or describe terminology usage.
For example, IBM has a document entitled "Common User Access Panel Design
and User Interaction" that, among other things, defines usage of such terms
as "menu panels', "entry panesl", etc. Additionally, ISO has some standard
documents covering Software Development and System Documentation. However,
the catalogue descriptions don't specifically reference standards as they
releate to terminlogy.

Rather than "reinventing the wheel" nd developing our own standards for
terminlogy, I hope you can direct me to an apporpriate document that would
define such terms as 'menu bar', 'pull-down', etc.

Thanks for your help.