FrameMaker and ASCII files

Subject: FrameMaker and ASCII files
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 16:02:00 -0700

* Joe Fockler wrote:

Has anyone attempted to create a
template in FrameMaker and pull ASCII files or files from a
database? We have a form to release documents and products.
The form calls out the product type, part number, revision
level, reason for change, creator of the change order, etc.

Our MIS department is looking at ways to pull this information into
Frame to make it look nice. The information can be supplied to
FrameMaker in ASCII format, MIF format, or any number of other formats.
The big issues is how to pull in data and to put it in the appropriate
field -- as there are many different fields in this document. The first
---==== Stuff deleted ====---

Are there any books or tutorials that discuss this issue?

I think that this is the very sort of problem that SGML is
meant to solve. I'll continue collecting responses to my
SGML post and hopefully summarize on Friday.

Rich