Re: A bit more about wp programs.

Subject: Re: A bit more about wp programs.
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 22:40:17 -0700

>What do other technical writers think are the advantages of MSWORD
>as opposed to WordPerfect 6.0?

Not having used WordPerfect, I have no opinion about it. One of the best
things about Word for Windows 2 and 6 is its programmability. You can
implement complex packages like RoboHelp, or you can quickly automate a
simple sequence of steps that you perform frequently.

Once upon a time Word's styles were hard to use and unintuitive. Ever since
Word for Windows 2, however, this is no longer true. Similarly, fields and
templates now exist within a clear conceptual model. And Word's
programmability makes all of these features even more powerful.

Word's biggest drawback, up through Word for Windows 2, is its inability to
handle multi-file documents smoothly and automatically. I believe that the
master document feature of Word for Windows 6 is intended to solve that
problem, but I haven't figured out how to use it yet, so I can't comment.

In looking at how Word has improved over the years, especially recently, I
think someone at Microsoft must be listening to users and trying to give
them what they ask for. ...RM

Richard Mateosian srm -at- c2 -dot- org srm -at- radiomail -dot- net (510)540-7745