How to get only one message a day from TECHWR-L

Subject: How to get only one message a day from TECHWR-L
From: "Derrel Fincher, 1-713 275-8581, HPC-Dowell SCP" <dvfincher -at- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 1994 11:21:13 -0600

I to have had a problem with being innundated with drivel on the numerous
lists that I subscribe to. The biggest problem was sorting important mail
requiring immediate action on my part from the list mail. So I set all of
the lists to digests, which means I get a maximum one mail a day that
arrives shortly after midnight.

To set a digest for this list, use the following procedure:

Send a message to LISTSERV -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET (or LISTSERV -at- VM1 -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU)
with no subject line. In the body of the message, put:

SET TECHWR-L DIGEST

That's all there is to it. The biggest problem you will run into is if your
mail return address has changed since you signed onto the list. You also
can't give immediate help to people that need it, but if you are innundated
by messages, you won't be reading them soon enough to reply immediately anyway.

This has saved my sanity. BTW, if your system administrators (the same
people that change your return address without telling you) are complaining
about the number of messages that people get, they need to upgrade hardware
and software. Some of them forget that their job is SUPPORT, not CONTROL.

Regards,

Derrel

Derrel Fincher
Section Head, Pump Products Tel: (713) 275-8581
Stimulation and Completion Products Department Fax: (713) 275-8552
Dowell Schlumberger, Inc. SINet: DSNVXB::DFINCHER
PO Box 4610 || 115 Industrial Blvd. INTERNET: dvfincher -at- slb -dot- com
Houston, TX 77210 || Sugar Land, TX 77478