Re: Ventura vs. FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Ventura vs. FrameMaker
From: Gary Beason <beason -at- CONVEX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 13:05:21 -0500

Heather Lum <lum -at- med -dot- pitt -dot- edu> wrote:
>I am trying to decide whether to stick with Ventura Publisher, or switch
>to FrameMaker 4.0. I work on a PC running Windows. If any of you have

I have Frame 4.0 on a 386-40 PC with 8 megs of RAM; it runs, but runs slowly.
I would strongly suggest that if you have a demo or test copy, try opening a
large document (100 pages or so--if you might work with such). At times, it's
unbearably slow, particularly when I'm doing things that are memory intensive,
like cutting and pasting.

Also, Frame seems to "leak"--the more windows I open and close, the slower it
seems to run, even after I've closed windows or docs. I have no hard proof
of this, but I seem to detect that it has "residual" memory effects so I have
to quit occasionally (maybe a couple of times a day).

I also understand that Frame conversion aren't very smooth (based on responses
I got a year ago about Frame).
--
--gary beason
--bubba -at- mace -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu