Re: How to beat the resume scanner

Subject: Re: How to beat the resume scanner
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 18:02:00 -0700

This is news to me! Can someone explain more about how this
Resumix works? Has anyone ever seen it in use?

What do you mean by:

Don't keep it short?

Use all the space that you need to write in great detail
_all_ the things you have done that are even remotely related
to your field. The more detail the better.

What are the 'extra key words'

Another way to put it is to use "tricky words and key
phrases". That means put in _all_ the software, _all the
standards you're familiar with, _all_ the jargon that you
think some HR wonk will use to define job requirements.

Does that mean not to use Helvetica and Times Roman?

Use a good scanable font so that your 1s (ones) don't get
confused with your ls (ells), same with 0/O -- something with
serifs.

Why not use MS Word template?

Not sure about that 'cept that it's a Mickey$oft product.

The purpose of all this is not to come up with the pretty
resume with the bold highlights that you send to your
selected companies. This resume is the kind contractors get
entered into a job shop database. When a client comes to the
shop and says, "I need 40 writers next week who have 2 yrs
minimum of LaserPainter experience and at least 5 yrs total
writing experience and oh, yeah they gotta have some
knowledge of PerfectDoc and I'd prefer people with military
experience," the shop plugs in those tricky words and key
phrases and pulls all the resumes that match -- those are
the first ones to get the call for the job. The client
probably then will get to see a version of the resume
customized to show the things he's looking for. Does this
help?

Rich