What to call ourselves

Subject: What to call ourselves
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 09:40:17 PDT

Cheryl Towler writes:

>Wouldn't "Scientific Author" and "Technical Author" be better terms for
>our profession? I'm going to start telling people that I am a Technical
>Author-in-Training to see if they understand better. What do you think?

Personally, I think it's the "scientific" and "technical" parts
that drive 'em crazy in the first place. It makes it sound like,
well, rocket science or something. That may also explain why people
ask us to solve all kinds of problems we may know nothing about --
if we're called "technical somethingorother," we must be genius
egghead types, right?

If we just said "author", "writer", or "communicator", I think
we'd still get questions, but maybe fewer blank stares. A number
of people I know just say "I'm a writer," and I'm starting to do
the same among certain kinds of crowds. The person almost inevitably
asks, "Oh, what do you write?" and you can then tailor your answer
to your estimation of the person's experience.

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com

Previous by Author: Re: What does a tech writer do?
Next by Author: Graphics software question
Previous by Thread: STC, Carolina Chapter meeting
Next by Thread: Re: What to call ourselves

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads