Re: What does a Tech Writer do? (Tech writing, publicity in US)

Subject: Re: What does a Tech Writer do? (Tech writing, publicity in US)
From: "Bonni J. Graham" <bgraham -at- ELECTRICITI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 10:54:53 PST

Julie Barker asks:

"Anyone else out there been cornered and made to feel professionally
responsible on a regular basis because their mum (bless her) can't figure
out how to turn the video on and off using the manual (let alone how to
program it)?"

I get this all the time. Usually how I introduce myself as a technical
writer is to say, "I'm a technical writer -- and yes, I am personally
responsible for every VCR flashing 12:00. The plot worked. Wah-ha-ha-ha."
I can often get into a very interesting user-perspecitve conversation
about manuals with the person after this. Maybe it's just me, though...
Bonni Graham
Manual Labour
Director, Region 8 Conference
bgraham -at- electriciti -dot- com