[no subject]

From: janice czyscon <jczyscon -at- FACSTAFF -dot- WISC -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 06:44:27 -0500

Greetings!

I am still looking for a method of version control for my pubs unit. We
create documents in MS Word and our graphic artists use Pagemaker for page
layout. Ideally, we would like to be able to export our final Pagemaker
documents back to Word so that we'd have textually identical Word and
Pagemaker docs at the end of our composition process. But the exporting
process is too time-consuming. Therefore, I am considering using Word's
"Subscribe and Publish" feature for version control since I've been unable
to locate any other software to meet our needs. I'd appreciate hearing
about your experience using "Subscribe and Publish" as a version control
tool. My concern is that it may not be powerful enough. We would use it to
manage about 400 separate 10-page documents authored by 30 individuals in
the department.

I'd also appreciate learning if there are any page layout programs with
good versioning capabilities. I've read the recent discussion on this
listserv regarding Framemaker v Ventura and wonder if my unit would profit
by changing from Pagemaker to some other program. I know almost nothing
about either Framemaker or Ventura. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who
would care to briefly describe these page layout programs or any others to
me.

If you think you should reply to me personally rather than to the listserv,
please e-mail me at: jczyscon -at- facstaff -dot- wisc -dot- edu

Thank you, tech writers.