Known Bug in Ventura Publisher 4.2

Subject: Known Bug in Ventura Publisher 4.2
From: "George F. Hayhoe III" <george -dot- hayhoe -at- SRS -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 09:36:00 -0400

If you are using Ventura 4.2 and either Word for Windows 6.0 or Word
Perfect 6.0, you may have noticed problems in loading chapters that include
Word or Word Perfect files. (Yes, I know that VP 4.2 doesn't include
filters for the latest versions of these programs, but please read on.)

If you have already launched Word 6.0 or Word Perfect 6.0 before you launch
Ventura 4.2, Ventura thinks it does not have room to load all of its word
processing filters and fails to load the last several--various flavors of
Word and Word Perfect. Unfortunately, VP doesn't provide a warning message
when it fails to load the filters.

Thus, when you try to load a chapter that includes a Word or Word Perfect
file, VP will be unable to translate the file format and will give you an
error message to that effect.

Similarly, if you try to add a Word or Word Perfect file to a new or
existing chapter, the various Word and Word Perfect options will be missing
from the list of text file types available.

The fix is simple, but it mystified the blazes out of me till I called
Corel's tech support.

Close Ventura. Close Word/Word Perfect. Launch Ventura, which will then see
that it has all the space it needs for its translation filters. Then launch
Word or Word Perfect. The programs will work fine together as long as you
don't have the word processor already loaded when you launch VP 4.2.

I don't think that this problem occurs with Word 6.0 unless you've
installed all of the Microsoft Wizards and templates that ship with Word.
We'd been using Word 6.0 and Ventura 4.2 together for several months and
experienced no problems till the Wizards and templates were added to our
network installation last week.

Hope this saves someone else a few hours of befuddlement.

--George Hayhoe
Assistant to the President for Recognition Programs
STC