s or (s) or nothing?

Subject: s or (s) or nothing?
From: Barb Philbrick <barb -dot- philbrick -at- PCOHIO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 17:52:00 -0500

How do you handle situations where you can have one or two items?

I'm presently using "The secondary detector(s) sense the position of the
strip . . .", but I don't like using (s). It also causes questions with
the tense of the verb that follows.

"The secondary detector or detectors sense" seems too wordy.

Thanks

Barb

barb -dot- philbrick -at- pcohio -dot- com
---
~ CMPQwk 1.4 #9107 ~ There's such a fine line between clever and stupid.