Controversial Quote

Subject: Controversial Quote
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 14:06:39 EDT

A controversial quote, considering the proliferation of "etexts", or
electronic texts:

"It seems to me the book has
not just aesthetic values -- the charming little clothy box of the
thing, the smell of the glue, even the print, which has its own
beauty. But there's something about the sensation of ink on paper
that is in some sense a thing, a phenomenon rather than an
epiphenomenon. I can't break the association of electric trash with
the computer screen. Words on the screen give the sense of being
just another passing electronic wriggle," says author John Updike.
(Atlantic Monthly 9/94 p.61)
********************

I have just received Virginia Woolf's "The Voyage Out" by ftpmail. I
thought that was pretty cool! Mind you, I'm also a real "tactile" and
"olfactory" reader--my husband laughs at me while I read, feel and
sniff...and I would miss that.

Take care, and may your dog go with you.

Gwen "Lonely Creator of Electronic Wiggles" Gall (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)

% Recent fortune cookie gem: %
% %
% "From listening comes wisdom, %
% from speaking, repentance." %
% %
% So Confucius subscribed to an e-mail list? %