Validation vs Verification -Reply

Subject: Validation vs Verification -Reply
From: "Mark D. Walker" <MWALKER -at- CONNECT4 -dot- SLC -dot- UNISYSGSG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 07:26:30 -0700

> I'm relatively new at the software testing/documentation game. I've
> asked within the company what the difference between verification
> and validation is, and I get too many different answers.

> So I throw it out to you...

> What is the difference between verification and validation?

---------------------
REPLY
---------------------

I'm not sure whether the software world defines the terms in the same
way as the hardware world, but where I work the official definitions
of validation and verification are as follows:

VALIDATION is that process whereby the manufacturer authenticates the
technical accuracy and adequacy of all operation and maintenance
procedural information through the performance of such procedures on
the associated equipment, and the detailed technical and editorial
quality review of all publications content for technical accuracy and
adequacy, and for conformance to the content, editorial, format, and
quality assurance requirements of the applicable specifications.

VERIFICATION is that process whereby the customer substantiates the
technical accuracy and adequacy of all operation and maintenance
procedural information through the performance, or witnessing the
manufacturer's performance, of such procedures on the associated
equipment, and reviews the content of all publications for technical
adequacy and accuracy, and for conformance to the content, editorial,
format, and quality requirements of the applicable specifications
prescribed by the contract.

In other words, validation is when we check the completed manual
ourselves for accuracy, etc., and verification is when the customer
checks it.

Mark Walker Cogito Ergo Popeye
(I Think, Therefore I Yam What I Yam)