About Contracting

Subject: About Contracting
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 13:08:02 EDT

This posting may come under the category of "today's dumb question,", but....

John Garison wrote about contracting from a perspective we rarely see. I
have very little experience with contracting, but I'm open minded to the
concept. I may be doing it again, some day.

John mentioned the ethics of some situations:

> It's considered unethical for a contractor to go to the client and
>negotiate the agency out of the picture on a job that the agency
>placed the contractor.

I just want to make sure I understand what he means. I can figure out
that it's wrong for the contractor to say to the client and say "Drop the
middleman and pay me directly."

My question: Does this also include situations where the client approaches
the contractor and says "We are going to make this a permanent position,
and we're offering you the job if you're interested." I imagine this happens,
but I don't know anyone who has been in that situation. (Like I said, I've
done very little contracting...)

This is not a big issue in my life, I'm just curious and interested in
opinions. (And ya know what they say, "Opinions are like noses, everyone
has one.")

Rick Lippincott
I can send but not receive at work. Please send personal comments to:
rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com