Re: Tenses, Gender & Number

Subject: Re: Tenses, Gender & Number
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 08:41:16 -0500

Bob was baffled and offended by the following passage from vocational
regulations:

************************************
"Tenses, Gender, and Number. As used in this chapter, the present tense
includes the past and future tenses, and the future includes the present;
the masculine gender includes the feminine, and the feminime includes the
masculine; and the singular includes the plural, and the plural includes
the singular."

Sounds to me like an admission that someone doesn't know their grammer.
************************************

Actually, it's an admission that mistakes can be made in drafting a law or
regulation. We discussed this in a business law class I took about a year
ago. If no other interpretation is given, there are a bunch of rules about
how to interpret genders, tenses, etc. in the law; sometimes these rules
lead to unexpected interpretations of seemingly ordinary sentences (please
don't ask for examples). However, a specific statement of intent within
the regulation or law can override those rules.

In this case, they seem to be throwing the net as widely as possible, to
ensure that a passage isn't too specific and therefore frustrates the
intent of the law or regulation. Think of it as caulking to keep the
lawyers out.

Doug "All business activity is a struggle
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com between Greed and Fear. Incorporation
means that, in this organization, Fear
has won."