Re: Inc/decrement, vt. -Reply

Subject: Re: Inc/decrement, vt. -Reply
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 23:37:14 -0600

Mark's observation triggers this question: Has anyone checked a technical
dictionary on this usage?

Just curious.

On Wed, 21 Sep 1994, Mark D. Walker wrote:

> Shelly wrote:

> > "increments" and "decrements" were used as VERBS!

> To which Richard replied:

> > I have been using these verbs for about 30 years, and I was
> > astonished to discover today that they ain't in the dictionary.

> > May I have a show of hands on this one? Did you know that these
> > verbs aren't verbs? Do only programmers increment registers?

> To which I reply:

> Engineers also increment and decrement registers, counters, etc.
> Increment and decrement may not be in the dictionary, but they are
> valid engineering terms. I have, in the past, gone 'round and 'round
> with editors and other English majors about those two words
> (especially decrement), and am sure I will again, sooner or later.

> I remember reading somewhere (I don't remember where) that if all
> engineering, technical, and scientific words were included in the
> dictionary, it would triple in size. In other words, there are an
> awful lot of tehcnical terms that are not in the dictionary.

> Mark Walker

* RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu *
* Only the curious wil learn and only the resolute overcome the *
* obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited *
* me more than the intelligence quotient. -Eugene S. Wilson_ *