A or An

Subject: A or An
From: Barb Miller <millerb -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 13:21:57 MST

Gwen asked about whether to use

An RDBMS
A RDBMS

I agree with LaVonna and Chicago. We (the government) are the acronym
capital, and we deal with this problem a lot. My solution is to
eliminate the acronym when possible. If RDBMS is the only system
you're talking about, just say "the system" when you refer to it
subsequently. That also eliminates the redundancy problem we see a lot
when writers forget what the last letter stands for and write "an
RDBMS system."