Re: Inc/decrement, vt. -Reply

Subject: Re: Inc/decrement, vt. -Reply
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 10:52:02 EDT

Dan Dusing writes:
>To which I will also add that they are in the
>IBM Dictionary of Computing
>edited byGeorge McDaniel

>McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1994

Decrement is not listed as a verb.
Increment is not listed as a verb, except for certain specific contexts
(none of which apply to counters or registers.

The primary definition for each is:
Decrement: The quantity by which a variable is decreased.
Increment: A value used to alter a counter or register.

So it looks to me like IBM views them as nouns (which came as a surprise to
me). I think we're looking at the same edition here (10th Ed., Aug. '93,
for those in N. America, and International Ed., '94 for those outside) -
if I'm wrong on this, let me know.

Take care,

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: speaking on my own behalf, not IBM's