TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Well, it's been a week since I asked for Ventura users to step forward.
I know the digest people might not post/respond until later, but I thought
I'd give some, perhaps preliminary, results.
I received 11 responses. They went something like this:
2 said they use Ventura and recommend it
3 said they use Ventura but are waiting to see what Corel does
with it and that they may consider switching
3 said they use Ventura but have either switched to Frame or are
in the midst of a switch
3 said they used Ventura in the past but said either that they didn't
like it or that Ventura couldn't compare to Frame
If Corel is listening, hope they're listening closely.
And, just so you Ventura users know, my boss recently spoke with Corel about
the impending Ventura 5 release due out the first of October. Guess what.
It's *now* due out the first of November.
Why am I not surprised.
More detailed results follow.
USE VENTURA AND RECOMMEND IT
* Use Ventura and recommend Ventura.
* Find it quite good. Can't imagine how Frame can be as good
as everyone seems to say. Ventura has an undeservedly bad
WAITING TO SEE WHAT COREL DOES WITH IT/CONSIDERING SOMETHING ELSE
* Use ventura, but waiting to see what Corel is going to
do with it. Not necessarily an endorsement. May go to Frame.
* Love Ventura, but waiting to see what Corel does with it.
Have used Frame, though not extensively.
* Use Ventura, but considering moving to Quark on the MAc
for publishing purposes. (Have a problem finding experienced
Ventura contract writers.)
USED VENTURA NOW USING SOMETHING ELSE (or in the process of switching)
* Used Ventura for 4 years, now using FrameMaker.
* Use Ventura but currently changing to Frame. (Was
disappointed that Corel wasn't present at Seybold, [large
publishing conference in SF]. Took this as a bad sign that
justified switch to Frame.)
* Use Ventura, found it difficult to learn. Will be switching
to Frame in near future, can't wait to compare the two.
DON'T LIKE VENTURA or PREFER FRAME HANDS DOWN
* Have used Ventura *and* FrameMaker. Would pick Frame over
Ventura any day.
* Ventura Power user. But Ventura can't hold a candle to Frame.
* Used Ventura in the past, hated it after about 10 minutes.
johnr -at- lurch -dot- brs -dot- com
|/ K. John Russell \|
| Dataware Technologies, Inc. |
| 5 Computer Drive South |
| Albany, New York 12205 |
|\ (518) 437-4025 /|