Re: Online/print

Subject: Re: Online/print
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 15:35:19 -0700

mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM said:
> I do want to make one thing _very_ clear: IBM writers do have guidelines to
> work from. In my educated not-so-humble opinion, they're decent, consistent,
> not consistency for consistency's sake. Inasmuch as there is bad writing
> coming out of IBM (and I doubt there's much), it's despite guidelines, not
> because of them.

I'm sorry, Michael, but this made me laugh. OS/2 was repsonsible for
me becoming a technical writer. I was a professor of Japanese, and
late one night I was re-installing OS/2, trying to follow the
documentation, and I had this moment of epiphany: "*I* could write
better documentation than this." And that's basically why, when I was
presented with the opportunity to change careers, I became a technical
writer. (This was about a year and a half ago.)

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com