Re: contractions in writing

Subject: Re: contractions in writing
From: Laura Johnson <lauraj -at- CND -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 17:15:01 GMT

K Hindall (kkh2 -at- cornell -dot- edu) wrote:
:... while I agree that contractions are not popular in formal writing, I
: doubt translation is the reason.

For a non-native English speaker reading an English manual, contractions
may be somewhat difficult. I might nonetheless use the most common
contractions (don't, isn't) in places where *not* using them seems
stilted.

--
Laura Johnson * lauraj -at- fc -dot- hp -dot- com * Hewlett Packard NSMD * Ft. Collins, CO

"You have to remember that American publishers believe that their readers
are Spam-sucking trailer trash who'll buy whatever's shoved on the stand at
the local store, and it embarrasses them when they take an interest."
- Terry Pratchett