Standard of living? Whose standard?

Subject: Standard of living? Whose standard?
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 10:16:23 IST

Also, the point about living standard being better or worse--some of
that is dependent on whether or not you are getting paid in dollars or
in the native currency.

** And some is subjective. The quality of sanitation is pretty easy to
measure objectively, but many things aren't... the diet, the leisure-time
opportunities: they may be different but no worse.

I worked with a woman here in Israel who insisted she had no choice but
to get cosmetics flown in from New York (though there are many local
manufacturers, including Helena Rubenstein). It's not as if she had
allergies or anything. I'd consider she was being unreasonable. She
considered her standard of living was at stake.

Or consider clothing: I don't own a suit. Is my standard of living
the lower? I got a top technical-writing job without a suit. I got
married without a suit. I haven't worn a suit in more than twenty years,
or needed to. I call dressing comfortably a significant plus in the
lifestyle. Someone else might not...
Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il
Summit EDA Technologies | Voice: +972-9-507102, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-509118
"Graphics are especially useful for drawing readers into the book."
- STC Intercom