Re: Sam Clemens is dead

Subject: Re: Sam Clemens is dead
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 13:53:21 EDT

Steve Fouts wrote:
>Simple truth is that the technology required for online documentation to truly
>replace paper isn't here yet. Paper still does a good number of things better
>than online does, perhaps better in these areas than online ever will.

The technology does exist. I agree with you that paper has not replaced
online, and that paper is not (yet) dead. But paper's continued existence
as a documentation form (at least in software) has nothing to do with (lack of)
technology, and a great deal to do with economics and infrastructure. We
can build online information now that is even better than paper ("we have the
technology...") but it would, initially, cost more than the paper docs it
would replace. Since one of the main forces behind the move to online is
economic (disks are cheaper than books), we settle for cheaper online docs
that we can afford to make, and supplement them with paper books that we
already have an infrastructure in place for.

The main problems with online docs (IMO) are portability and screen real
estate. These can simply and easily be solved with palm-sized readers
for portability and larger screen displays for integrated help. Both of
these solutions cost a heck of a lot, so they aren't being implemented.

But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

BTW, I think "the next millenium" is a pretty good guess at when online
docs will have replaced paper (in software documentation). I think
there will be a gradual change-over, but I think we can bet on that being
complete within the next six years or so. However, I don't think six
years is that far away, and I think we'll pass the 50% mark well before then.

Take care,

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: speaking on my own behalf, not IBM's.