source & credit guidelines

Subject: source & credit guidelines
From: Terance McNinch <tlmcninc -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 16:37:12 EDT

I need to compile a set of source-attribution guidelines
that will give some order to a collection of 50 newsletters
published by a nation-wide federal program in every state and
circulated throughout the U.S.

Many of the issues published reprint articles that were
orginally published by another state. Because many of
these newsletters are put together by people who do not
consider this to be their profession, the attribution system
has gotten totally out of control, ie. a source is cited based
on where they see it, not from where it originated, copyrights are
violated all the time, etc.

I have been asked by the national association to draft some
guidelines that would define what a "reprint" is, what "adapted"
is, or what "excerpt" is, etc.

I have searched the Chicago Manual of Style, but have not been able to
find what I am looking for.

Does anyone have guidelines that they find to be effective?

Thanks
Terry McNinch
Mich. Tech. Univ.
tlmcninc -at- mtu -dot- edu