Re: Goofing off on the job?

Subject: Re: Goofing off on the job?
From: "Bonni J. Graham" <bgraham -at- ELECTRICITI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 10:16:51 PST

Julie Azoulai notes that some people spend a lot of time writing about mice
and suit colors, then asks:
"Can anyone suggest tips for improving concentration?"

Well, what I do is take regular, short breaks (10 min or so every two
hours) and write long-winded replies to messages about suit colors and
mice.

I'm not kidding. I can focus for a couple of hours or so, if I know that I
get a short break at the end of it. If I'm on deadline (often, but not
always, as I'm a contractor), I restrict myself carefully to those ten
minutes, except in first thing in the morning when I try to read and
respond to anything that came in the night before while I drink my coffee.
I can keep going for fourteen-sixteen hour days (true, ask my SO) that way
-- and I've only "lost" my lunch break (typically .5 hour) and those ten
minute blocks. I'm fresh and ready to go the rest of the time.

FWIW.

Bonni Graham
Manual Labour
Director, Region 8 Conference