Survey--please help...

Subject: Survey--please help...
From: Joan Smith <jsmith -at- ENCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 13:41:20 -0400

Dear Fellow Tech Writers and Communicators,

I am planning to write an article for the STC journal,
and I need your help! Below is a survey for anyone who
is CURRENTLY taking graduate courses towards a masters
degree in technical communications or anyone who has attempted
or received their masters degree in technical communications.
The information below explains more, but this is in no way
an argument about degreed vs. non-degreed!

I appreciate any help and comments you have, and I hope
to hear from you soon!

Joan M. Smith
jsmith -at- encore -dot- com

**********************************

> I am in the process of writing an article for the
> Society for Technical Communication's (STC) journal,
> Technical Communication. The article will attempt to
> uncover why people strive for higher education in technical
> communications, what their expectations are/were,
> and what the actual outcome of having a master's degree is.
> In essence, it will attempt to explain the worth of having a graduate degree.

> This survey is split into two parts; you will only need to
> fill out one part. Part A is geared towards the current
> graduate students in some field of Technical Communications.
> Part B is geared towards any person who has already sought
> a graduate degree in some field of Technical Communications.

> I would like to re-survey current students at a later time
> to see how their expectations are measuring up. If you have
> no objections to be solicited, please include your name and
> the best way to contact you (via school, work department).
> Either way, your identity will be kept anonymous.

> Your complete and honest responses are greatly appreciated.
> Feel free to share this survey with co-workers or students who
> fit the audience description.

> Please return to:

> Joan M. Smith
> Technical Writer
> Encore Computer Corporation
> 6901 W. Sunrise Blvd., MS404
> Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 33313-4499

> Fax to: (305) 797-5926

> e-mail: jsmith -at- encore -dot- com

> Thank you very much!

> Joan Miles Smith

> Part A: Current Graduate Students

> Name:____________________________ Contact:______________________________
> Age:_____
> City/State/Country of Residence:____________________________________________

> 1. What master's degree are you seeking?___________________________________
> 2. What do you expect to get out of your master's degree?

> 3. What do you plan to do after receiving your degree?

> 4. What is the most relevant subject covered in a course? Why?

> 5. What is the least relevant subject covered in a course? Why?

> 6. What would you change about the education you are receiving?

> 7. Are you currently working?
> * Position? _____________________________________
> * How long?_________________
> * Full-time/ Part-time/ Contract? Volunteer?____________________
> 8. What industry are you working in? (e.g., computer, medical, education,
> engineering...)_____________________
> 9. Does your employer help pay for your education?
> * No
> * Yes. If yes, is this a factor in your decision to pursue
> a graduate degree? No ___ Yes ___
> 10. Do you think you will learn the skills needed to keep up
> with changes in your field?

> 11. What is your undergraduate degree in? ________________________________
> 12. Are you going to the same school at which you received your
> undergraduate degree?
> * No
> [...]

Sesame Street was brought to you today by the letter 'Q'
and the number 3.14159