Re: Re[2]: online vs. paper

Subject: Re: Re[2]: online vs. paper
From: Gary Beason <beason -at- CONVEX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 09:52:04 -0500

I've also had problems with online docs, for reasons already mentioned.
But I can see where online docs can do things that print docs can't.

Though I don't own a Mac, I've read that the Apple System 7.5 has more of an
interactive help: the documentation is not really separate from the activities
that are documented--if you want to modify your system for something, the
online help actually takes you through those modification steps so that when
you finished "reading" the documentation, you've actually modified your system.
The documentation is the interface within the interface.

But I see this approach still a problem, especially with the tendencies of many
online docs. For example, how do you know that the online help will take you
through exactly what you need?

Has anyone worked with System 7.5 and can comment on it?

--
--gary beason
--bubba -at- mace -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu