Academic courses on indexing

Subject: Academic courses on indexing
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 11:23:00 -0700

I'd like to know if any graduate or undergraduate technical or professional
communication programs include a semester-long course on indexing. I'm
doing a review essay on books about indexing, and the textbooks I've found
seem to be directed towards library science courses. I know that technical
writers often need to do indexes, for books and manuals especially, and
maybe for other formats. Certainly electronic information storage and
retrieval demands a basic knowledge of indexing theory. So, those of you
who do indexing, how did you learn how? Especially I would like to know
if you learned in a formal setting. You can reply to me personally if you
prefer...thanks for your help.

Donnie Curtis
Reference Librarian, New Mexico State University
dcurtis -at- lib -dot- nmsu -dot- edu
Recently someone mentioned the Dept of Agriculture as a
source of tech writing correspondance courses (I know ????
USDA????). I received their catalog last week and they have
a few courses on indexing that might satisfy your needs.

Rich

I don't have the contact info right now, but I'll get it for
you if you want it.