Re[4]: How one fellow sees us

Subject: Re[4]: How one fellow sees us
From: Virginia Krenn <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 08:38:08 CDT

Karen,

I don't agree with your criticism of Richard's post. I think that when
wnash -at- sunquest -dot- com wrote a diatribe against the Techwriter's list that he
gave up any rights that he may have had to not have his message reproduced
to the very same list that he railed against.

It seems that there is a point of law that says everyone has a right to
"face their accuser" or in this case to at least know what they're being
accused of.

Virginia

Author: Karen Kay <karenk -at- netcom -dot- com> at SMTP

Richard Mateosian said:
> >I would caution against the reposting of someone's
> >message without their prior permission.

> I find this a little strange, given that a large percentage of the messages
> on this and most other lists contain, in toto, the message they are
> responding to. Exactly what consequences should I be cautious of? ...RM

A lot of people consider reposting a message to another list without
the author's permission a rude thing to do. I certainly would not be
at all happy if someone reposted something I wrote here to another
list without asking me for permission to do so. (Or if someone used
something I wrote in an article without my permission--we've already
been around once about *that* topic.)

Also, it could be construed as a violation of copyright.

I'm not at all sure about quoting the entire message in a response. On
the other hand, if that's part of an ongoing conversation, I suppose
it could be construed as fair use. This strikes me as very different
in intent (though also poor manners, of course) because it's in the
same forum.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com