Re: Re[4]: How one fellow sees us

Subject: Re: Re[4]: How one fellow sees us
From: Kasey Chang <KaseyC -at- DISCOPY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 09:44:00 PDT

> >I would caution against the reposting of someone's
> >message without their prior permission.

> I find this a little strange, given that a large percentage of the
> messages on this and most other lists contain, in toto, the message
they
> are responding to. Exactly what consequences should I be cautious of?

>I think what the original poster was getting at was that electronic
>correspondence may have the same legal status as written correspondence.
While
>received letters belong to the recipient, they may not legally be published
>without the consent of the sender. Quoting a message in a response is
accepted
>practice on the net, so probably exempt, and I don't think that was what
the
>post was referring to. I think it was refferring to picking up a post in
its
>entirety from another list and transplanting it here, without the knowledge
or
>consent of the original poster. Legal questions aside, it's tacky.

Interestingly, I was just reading the Internet Informant e-zine, and one of
the stories was how Roseanne's first husband lost $7 mil in settlements when
apparently one of the e-mail he wrote to an inquiring woman violated judge's
gag order. The woman printed the e-mail out and sent it to Roseanne's
lawyers.

Maybe he should sue her for violating e-mail privacy? :-)

--Kasey Chang