Wanted! PhD writing programs

Subject: Wanted! PhD writing programs
From: "Race, Paul" <pdr -at- CCSPO -dot- DAYTONOH -dot- NCR -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 13:25:00 EST

Can anyone direct me to a university with a PhD program in writing, as in
professional writing, technical writing, busines writing, or all of the
above?

I'm a professional writer and virtual professional student. I'll be
finishing a MA in English by next summer, hopefully, but as my eventual goal
it to teach writing, I would like to go on to a PhD program. Unfortunately
the area universities only offer English PhD's and those focus very strongly
on literature, not writing. I'm not here to debate the value of "literature
study" or the usefulness of being able to find the phallic symbols in Moby
Dick, I'm just too old to start taking all those survey classes all over
again, just so I can "qualify" for a doctoral program and academic career in
which "literature" will play only a very minor part.

Somebody recently told me that Michigan Tech, in the Upper Peninsula of Mich
(Brrrr) has a PhD in writing and rhetoric. This is more to my liking, but I
was wondering what other schools offered similar programs. Can anybody give
me some leads?