Re: What's an Advertorial?

Subject: Re: What's an Advertorial?
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 08:29:32 -0500

Rick:

The definition of "advertorial" I learned in Journalism school was not "a
text ads that appears to be a feature story," but rather an advertisement
which expresses a corporation's position on some public-policy question,
using the traditional editiorial format. Mobil (I think) ran a series of
these on the subject of off-shore drilling in the early 80's, and more
recently, Phillip-Morris has been using them to promote its ideas on
"commercial free speech."

I think Eddie Chiles' radio ads were also considered advertorials, because
they used the commentary format and addressed political issues. (Anybody
remember "I'm mad, too, Eddie" bumper stickers?)

Whether broadcast or print, the identifying factors are:

1) Political intent, rather than selling goods or image-building.
2) Essay or editiorial form, rather than extensive use of pictures,
slogans, music, etc.
3) Corporate/business authorship.

Given that there are lots of smart people on this list who have a
different take on what "advertorial" means, however, it might be a good
idea to call and ask, or try to get in touch with someone else who works
for the company to find out what they have in mind.

Doug "All business activity is a struggle
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com between Greed and Fear. Incorporation
means that, in this organization, Fear
has won."