ig

Subject: ig
From: Jan Bates <bates -at- KINGFISH -dot- ATT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 14:46:00 GMT

Ken,

I didn't see the message you were responding to, but I think your
reply deserves its own response.

FrameMaker sounds like your best bet for the requirements you've
stated. It is NOT an easy package to learn: and it probably is harder
for someone who is grounded the the Gold Dust Twins, Word and
WordPerfect, precisely because it does not speak the same language.
But aside from UNIX troff--the best epub software you can use--it is
very flexible and useful for serious electronic publishing work.

Ken Wolman

I can't comment on whether maker is the best bet for the requirements
because I didn't see them, but I disagree with the comment about maker
being not easy to learn. I would say it is easier than either Word or
WordPerfect to learn because it's design is inherently more consistent.

I have also used troff very extensively and would choose maker over
troff ALWAYS. troff is a nightmare!

Just one person's opinion. :-)

Jan

Jan Bates Voice: 908 949-2311
ADSS - AT&T Bell Labs Fax: 908 949-4001
Holmdel NJ e-mail: bates -at- kingfish -dot- att -dot- com