Writing Samples

Subject: Writing Samples
From: laila <shamji -at- EXPERT -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 13:19:38 EST

Hello,

Would anyone be able to tell me what employers/companies are looking
for when they state that they would like to see writing samples.
Being a Professional/Technical writing student, I am not sure what to
show prospective interviewers. Do I show them the documentation on
conducting a user ability testing procedure for a cerin product; do I
show them documentation I wrote up for a tutorial performed in class
on a particular software application for the Macs?

I have designed some brochures,flyers and am working on a magazine
project in one of my classes, and being interested in DTP, I know that
these materials will be useful. However, does this also show my
writing skills, or do I have to emphasise that by including other
materials such as those mentioned above?

One last question: having performed several oral presentations in
class on issues such as "The basics of PageMaker 4.2a" and "How to
create a table using Microsoft Word", do you think that I can include
these in my resume to enhance my credibility on the knowledge of the
subject?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Laila.
shamji -at- expert -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu