Re: Tech Writing as a Career

Subject: Re: Tech Writing as a Career
From: JohnBrin <johnbrin -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 12:17:02 -0400

jaredle -at- crl -dot- com (James E Driggers) wrote:

>I have a bunch of questions to ask those who do technical writing as a
>career. I am thinking about becoming a technical writer, and would like
>to hear what it's like.

My answers follow:

>a. What do you do over the course of a day as a writer?
Do user needs analysis and task analysis, research source documents,
interview SMEs, install and test new software, manage projects, do STC and
community work; which leaves about 1/8 of my time for writing.

>b. How did you get your first job as a writer?
Sent out >100 resumes, looking for a job as an electronic engineer. Based
on mention of tech pubs review and tech report writing, got an interview
and a job as a tech writer (1967).

>c. What kind of skills did you have starting out?
Air Force tech schools (1948), 2-1/2 years as a tech instructor in USAF, 6
years in field support of precision navigation systems, 3-1/2 years night
school in EE, 6 years in radar systems engineering.

>d. What kind of skills are needed now starting out?
Excellent communication skills, strong empathy for users, agility, ability
to get into technical topics quickly and without fear, visual
communication skills, user needs and task analyis skills, etc. Perhaps
most important: Willingness to accept and promote change; technological,
work place, and social.

>e. What's best/worst part of being a writer?
Best: Deep satisfaction in knowing you have added to the value of your
employer's products. It's a kick to overhear customers discussing a topic
in terms you invented. Worst: Long hours, tight deadlines, lack of respect
(until you have built your reputation), concern about job security (most
everyone I have known who was layed off, wound up in a better position).

>f. What advice would you give someone thinking about writing as a career?
Join the Society for Technical Communication and get active in it. Imerse
yourself in modern computer and technical communication technology.

>g. What kind of advancement opportunities are there as a writer?
For the writer who considers his or her job a means to earn a living,
only; almost none. For the enthusiastic, innovative, creative,
willing-to-embrace-change writer; almost unlimited. My salary is 7X what
it was in 1967--not all of that is inflation.

>h. What kind of money can be made at entry level? After 1-3 years?
We pay associate technical communicators (entry level) $26,000 per year
(Phoenix, Arizona). We probably have the best benefits pkg available
anywhere.

>i. With strong writing skills, a BA in sociology and much clerical type
experience, but next to none in programming, what kind of chance do I
have getting a job as a tech writer?
Fair to good. The tech comm job market is just now beginning to heat up
after 10-years of doldrums. Make as many personal contacts as you can (fer
instance, STC), send resumes with a customized letter to every potential
employer you may be interested in, and pump gas or whatever to tide you
over until you get some hits.

John Brinegar
Phoenix, Arizona