Re: Associations other than STC

Subject: Re: Associations other than STC
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 11:37:28 EDT

Further to my previous post:

>ACM (Association for Computing Machinery)
> - SIGDOC (special interest group in documentation)
> - SIGLINK (special interest group in hypertext)
> - SIGCHI (special interest group in computer-human interaction)

Send a note to acmhelp -at- acm -dot- org for more information. They have a plethora
of SIGs and publications in addition to those I've mentioned above.
I haven't been a member long enough to have a real opinion, but here are my
ersatz opinions, FWTW:

- SIGCHI pub looked really interesting, lots of stuff applicable to online
information design (at least if you've got the kind of miswired brain I have)
- SIGLINK stuff looked reasonably interesting, a good blend of theory/fact,
but very internety (good or bad depending on your bias), and obviously less
presentation-oriented than SIGCHI
- SIGDOC stuff looked pretty prosaic, in other words probably interesting
to everyone else except me (gosh darn it there just weren't enough
buzzwords!)

Hope this helps,

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: speaking on my own behalf, not IBM's