y'all

Subject: y'all
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 12:20:19 -0500

When I was a teenager (many years ago), I said to a neighbor, "I saw
you all at the swimming pool." I was referring to him and his family.
He (a Nebraskan living here in Oklahoma) said, "I didn't see you all
because you were wearing a swim suit." I then asked him what he would
say instead of "you all" to refer to the entire family. He replied
that I should have said "all of you".

Now, I'd like to know what the difference is between "you all" and
"all of you". Yes, I know that "you" by itself can be used as a
plural. And, I don't say "y'all" or, as they do in Arkansas City KS,
"ya all".

Virginia