Re: 3-ring binders

Subject: Re: 3-ring binders
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 15:58:37 -0500

This is in response to Virginia's comment:

*************************
As for the comments about some users not inserting the update pages,
perhaps they're the kind of users who don't use hard copy docs anyway.
I can say that I always kept my manuals completely up-to-date.
*************************

At the 1989 STC convention, I heard a presenter (the name escapes me) who
said the breakdown on inserting manual updates is (approximately) as
follows:

1) If you have an authority who regularly inspects manuals and has the
power to impose sanctions for failure to update, (such as military IG's)
compliance above 95 percent can be achieved.

2) If there is a technical librarian whose number-two priority is
handling updates, compliance of 50 to 60 percent can be expected.

3) If inserting changes is left entirely to individual users, compliance
percentage plummets to the low single digits.

The figures where based on the consultant's research and experience.

Doug "There are no small projects,
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com just incredibly bad initial
estimates."