need advice on binding

Subject: need advice on binding
From: "Larry Kunz ((919) 254-6395)" <ldkunz -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 18:57:02 EDT

Kim Ferri (kim -at- ASPECTDV -dot- COM) wrote:

> Several of our customers have requested that we change our binding
> format. We are currently using wiro binding. Customers and
> internal folks are requesting 3-ring binders for the following
> reasons:

> o Update information with change pages instead of just release notes.

> o We expect to have many updates during the next 12-18 months.

> I'm aware of the following problems with 3-ring binder formats:

> o Binders are expensive. That means initial cost will exceed my normal
> printing costs.

> o Binders are known to cause customers to lose pages.

> o Change pages produce additional overhead, since we have to produce
> release notes anyway.

On the basis of what you've told us, I lean toward 3-ring binders.
Hey -- your users are asking for them: that's one good reason
right there. The frequency of updates is another, although you
might consider not doing changed pages if your users are happy
with the release notes.

But there are other factors you don't mention:

o How big is the book? If it's more than 200 to 250 pages, the
wiro binding becomes a hindrance. (That's MHO, of course.)

o What kind of information is it? If it's technical reference
information, your users might prefer a binder into which they
can insert changed pages. OTOH, if it's end-user or marketing
information, your users won't want to insert changes, and the
wiro binding will give you a neat, smart appearance.

One last thought: You mention that 3-ring binders are expensive,
and they are -- for your users. But the alternative is more
expensive for you. So why not buy the 3-ring binders and give
them to your users? I think you'll find that it costs about the
same as printing the book with wiro binding.

Larry Kunz
STC AP for Professional Development
ldkunz -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com