Re: asserted, de-asserted

Subject: Re: asserted, de-asserted
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 11:02:03 -0700

>"De-asserted" is not defined in my Webster's 9th New Collegiate. Nor is
>"asserted" defined in an electronics context. How is a signal "asserted"?

Most digital logic signals have two states. They also have names that
indicate the condition that the states represent. For example, a signal
called "Data Ready" might maintain one of two voltages: -3.3 volts to
indicate that signals on other lines contain valid data, 0 volts to indicate
that those other lines do not contain valid data.

In this example, you might write

The bus controller asserts Data Ready when the data on lines D0-D7 is stable.

Engineers sometimes use the term de-assert to indicate a return of the
signal to its other state. I prefer saying something like

The bus controller asserts Data Ready for as long as the data on D0-D7 is
stable.

The bus controller asserts Data Ready for 10ns when the data on D0-D7
becomes stable.

The bus controller asserts Data Ready when the data becomes stable, then
removes it when the data lines no longer contain valid data. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org